This Winter: Beware of Anti Freeze

Beware antifreeze poisoning

Many animals find antifreeze sweet tasting, and ingesting even the smallest amount can lead to kidney failure and death, especially in cats. The RSPCA and the Feline Advisory Bureau (FAB) would like to remind people to take care this winter. Follow our advice to help keep your pets safe.

To avoid accidental poisonings

  • Always keep antifreeze in clearly labelled, robust, sealed containers, away from pets and their environment;
  • Clean up any spills immediately, no matter how small, and make sure pets cannot access the area until it is clean and safe.
  • Always dispose of antifreeze safely and responsibly. Contact your local authority for advice.

If your pet shows any of the following signs take them to a vet immediately

  • Increased urination
  • Increased drinking
  • Vomiting
  • Depression
  • Lethargy (being abnormally sleepy)
  • Appearing drunk and uncoordinated
  • Seizures (fitting)
  • Abnormally fast heartbeat
  • Very fast, shallow breathing

The sooner veterinary treatment is received, the better their chances of survival. If left untreated pets can suffer, and will die.

The RSPCA and Feline Advisory Bureau (FAB) are deeply concerned about recent spates of suspected deliberate antifreeze poisoning in cats. We would like to remind the public that the deliberate poisoning of a cat is a criminal offense.

 

Source: fabcats.org

Leave a Reply

Processing...
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
join our newsletter
ErrorHere